In preparation for our student and staff camping and rafting trip this upcoming weekend, we thought we would provide some basic tips for camping for those going on the trip, or for anyone interested in camping, but not sure where to start.
If you’ve never been camping before, you are bound to make some mistakes, forget something, or have to plan on the fly. But don’t let that make your first camping trip be your last!
For those students who are going on the trip, mostly what you will need to worry about for this trip is packing. All of your items must fit in a SMALL bag. The staff is taking care of the tents, cooking equipment, food, lanterns, and other essential items.
The items YOU need to worry about packing are:
- WARM clothes (sweatpants, hoodies, sweatshirts, thermals if you have them)
- a swim suit or swimming trunks (also, bring a plastic bag for wet clothes!)
- sandals that strap-on (no flip flops!) or old tennis shoes
- T-shirt and shorts
- a flashlight
- toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, face wash, supplies for showering, hairbrush, extra toilet paper, etc.); bring these items in travel sizes if possible
- sleeping bag (or a couple of warm blankets)
- money for 2 lunches
Also a good general tip for packing is to ROLL your clothes instead of folding them in your bag – it saves a lot of room! Make use of as much space as you can!
- camera (with extra batteries)
- Bug Spray
- Snacks (must stay in the van when when get to the campsite)
Some general tips for camping:
- Research where you will be camping
- Make a checklist of things to bring
- Check the weather before you go to pack appropriate clothing and supplies (for example, if it is supposed to rain, pack a rain jacket and tarp)
- Remember that you are spending time in the wildlife and you are meant to enjoy it
Below are some pictures from IEI’s 2013 Camping and Rafting Trip.
If you want more camping tips, check out the links below.
http://camping.about.com/c/ec/1.htm This website features a very comprehensive 5-part guide to camping for beginners. A great resource for information, especially if you have never camped before.
http://www.campingintheforest.co.uk/forest-experience/camping-tips-and-information/camping-for-beginners Many useful tips for beginner campers, including Camping Essentials, Tips for New Campers, and Common Issues for First Time Campers.