Today, Americans remember the life and legacy of civil rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr. King is known around the world for his powerful words against hate and racism, including his famous “I Have a Dream” speech and many more. Consider the following quotes from Dr. King. His words from the past still have much to teach us today.
- Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
- Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.
- I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- If a man hasn’t discovered something he will die for, he isn’t fit to live.
- Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
- Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?
- Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind.
- Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
- The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people.
- We must all learn to live together as brothers—or we will all perish together as fools.
You can explore more of King’s quotes on The King Center’s website. Which quote is most meaningful to you?